Wednesday

How I Stay Vegan #6: Cooking

Secondary to animal rights, food is the other key pillar of veganism.  While it's certainly possible to thrive on PB&J and bean burritos from Taco Bell, to get the most out of the vegan lifestyle you have to cook.  Being able to prepare vegan food well allows you to enjoy what you're doing.  If you don't like what you're eating, staying vegan will be very difficult.

Disclosure:  I love to cook.  I love to eat.  I think I cook really well.

You don't have to be a trained chef or gourmand to eat well.  Learning the basic techniques and having the proper tools will ensure your success.  If you can dice and saute onion and garlic, you have the foundation for many great meals.  If you can light a BBQ, you're halfway to portabello burgers and grilled asparagus.

At the Stay Vegan compound, dinner is the climax of the day.  We usually start planning while we're eating dinner the night before.  I probably take longer to cook, shop and plan than most, but it doesn't have to be this way.  A simple raw salad or pizza with pre-made dough will only take a half-hour or so to make.  Cooking allows you to eat EXACTLY what you want, when you want, without worrying if the restaurant's cook properly cleaned the flat grill before your toast went on it.

Cooking also saves cash.  I'm sure you know that, but I felt it had to be stated.  

Cooking takes you from staying vegan, to loving veganism.

Stay vegan!

Some of my favorite vegan food blogs (not all have recipes, but are all full of inspiration)-

Share/Save/Bookmark StumbleUpon View blog reactions

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been looking at your blog for a few weeks or months now, and I have to say, I've liked reading your posts. I've been vegan for a little over a year, and have finally gotten my own blog (or one that I share with my fiance). I've added you to my blog list, and thought I'd tell you. Thanks for all the great work. Staying vegan is most definitely a high priority, and an important issue to address.

Andie said...

Portobello burgers - yum! I like cooking, too, and totally agree that it's at least desirable, if not necessary, for staying vegan and staying happy!

Keep up the good work on your blog!

Post a Comment